A nephrologist is a physician who specializes in caring for your kidneys, and at St. Bernards we offer outstanding specialists who provide a full range of services to diagnose and manage kidney disease, including the following:
- Acute Kidney Injury: Conditions resulting from an event harming kidney function and must be dealt with quickly.
- Glomerular Disease: A condition that affects how the kidney filters blood and may be associated with the presence of protein or blood in the urine.
- Chronic Kidney Disease: An ongoing problem in which the kidneys are in danger of deteriorating over time and must be managed to deter the process and maintain the kidneys’ ability to function.
- End Stage Kidney Disease: When the kidney fails, there are options still available, and our kidney specialists work with patients to identify the best next steps.
- High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure results from kidney disease. Because St. Bernards offers a multidisciplinary team approach to disease management, our nephrologists work with a team of hypertension physician-experts including cardiologists and your primary care doctor to help you keep this condition under control.
- Kidney Stones: Our nephrologists use the latest in treatment and therapies to prevent and treat kidney stones.
- Coordinated care and follow-up for patients with kidney disease associated with diabetes or heart disease.
Treatments, Procedures and Services
- Continuous renal replacement therapy, including citrate anticoagulation for critically ill patients
- Comprehensive dialysis services and chronic dialysis outpatient care
- Chronic peritoneal dialysis care, including continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD) or continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)
- Percutaneous needle biopsy of native kidneys and kidney transplants using real-time ultrasound guidance
- Percutaneous cannula placement using ultrasound guidance
- Access to dialysis and transplant services for patients with end-stage renal disease
- Access to all end-stage renal disease therapies, including kidney transplantation, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Percutaneous kidney biopsies, if needed
For more information on St. Bernards Nephrology services, please call the St. Bernards Healthline at 870.207.7300.