One of the most critical aspects of cancer care is the technology used to diagnose and treat various forms of the disease. Through a continuing program of needs assessment and planning, St. Bernards updates equipment, regularly replacing good technology with great technology, including:
- Treatment plan simulators, featuring dedicated computer tomography (CT) based simulation
- Linear accelerators, including image-guided radiation therapy tools - enhance our ability to locate and treat tumors with radiation therapy while giving the greatest possible protection to surrounding normal tissue.
The Clinac iX linear accelerator helps verify patient position and precise tumor position at the time of each radiation therapy treatment, allowing direct bursts of radiation to a tumor at just the right time during a patient’s normal breathing cycle.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) and Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- 2D and 3D inverse treatment planning computers
- PET CT scanner
- Low Dose Rate (LDR) and High Dose Rate (HDR) brachytherapy
- Stereotactic radiation therapy