Physical inactivity is now considered the leading cause of death in the United States. Research has shown that exercise is medicine and as little as 150 minutes per week can improve your health through treatment and prevention of conditions such as: Alzheimer’s, Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Obesity, Stroke, and more. Just how effective is exercise? Consider the following. You could:
- Reduce developing Alzheimer’s by 40%
- Reduce the risk of developing breast cancer by 30% and the mortality and the risk for recurrent breast cancer by 50%
- Reduce the risk of colon cancer by over 60%
- Reduce the risk of stroke by 27%
- Reduce the incidence of high blood pressure by 40%
- Decrease depression as effectively as Prozac or behavioral therapy
Looking for fun activities with physical benefits? Consider the following outcomes from recent studies:
- Burn approx. 300 calories with a one leisure bike ride
- Burn approx. 400 calories with a one hour moderate swim.
- Burn approx. 500 calories with a high impact aerobics class.
- Burn approx. 535 calories with a one hour jog
- Burn approx. 565 calories with a one hour spin class
- Burn approx. 597 calories with a one hour personal training session
All of these activities and more you can do in the comfort and safety of St. Bernards Health & Wellness. Our staff of dedicated and certified professionals can give you all the tools you need to fill your prescription for exercise. Talk to your physician today about an exercise prescription with unlimited refills.
St. Bernards Health & Wellness
1416 East Matthews