Our History

2013

  • St. Bernards begins to offer free screenings and education as part of Community Benefit.
  • St. Bernards is listed as the area’s most comprehensive provider of Cardiac Care.

2012

  • St. Bernards announces a breakthrough cure for one of healthcare’s biggest problems: Valet Parking
  • The St. Bernards Health & Wellness Institute opens.

2010

  • St. Bernards celebrates 110 years of commitment, caring and serving.

2002

  • The Senior Services division explodes with several programs.
  • In collaboration with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS),  the Area Health Education Center-Northeast (AHEC) and the Donald W. Reynolds Center on Aging in Little Rock, St. Bernards opens the Center on Aging-Northeast to provide resources to senior the adults. In addition, St. Bernards adds specialized services of a new Senior Health Clinic and brings in Jonesboro's first geriatrician.
  • St. Bernards Village opened an expansion in the assisted living quarters of the facility and broke ground for another expansion to the congregate living area.
  • Eight of St. Bernards Senior Life Centers began operation in Craighead and Poinsett counties, serving hot meals on a daily basis and providing activities for area residents.

2001

  • The Chest Pain Center is opened in the Emergency Department.
  • Brachytherapy is offered as a treatment for heart disease at St. Bernards.
  • The R2 Image Checker is introduced into the region for breast cancer detection.
  • The Cancer Treatment Center celebrates 10 years of services.
  • St. Bernards Village plans an expansion to meeting the growing needs of assisted living in the community.

2000

  • St. Bernards DayPlace, a center that provides daylong care for senior adults, opened in January.
  • St. Bernards observes its centennial anniversary by establishing a massive program called Mission: Serve. With assistance from the  Arkansas Army National Guard and the Jonesboro community, physicians from St. Bernards and other providers delivered services delivered more than a quarter of a million dollars’ worth of services to nearly 4,000 underserved individiuals throughout Northeast Arkansa in a field hospital setting at the Craighead County Fairgrounds.

1999

  • The Heartcare Center, a 70,000 square foot facility is opened to house heart services and nuclear medicine in one convenient location. 

1998

  • St. Bernards Village, a unique retirement community, opened enabling residents to lead full, active lives.
  • St. Bernards introduced a mobile mammography unit which travels to 23 counties offering mammograms to groups of women in industry and other locations.

1997

  • St. Bernards acquired St. Bernards Behavioral Health, enabling the offering of behavioral healthcare.
  • A new dialysis and cardiac rehab facility opened.
  • Construction began on the Heartcare Center.
  • St. Bernards added cutting-edge mammography and ultrasound equipment to the Women’s Diagnostic Center allowing for a higher level of confidence in detect breast lesions and possibly reducing the number of breast biopsies by 40%.

1996

  • St. Bernards added a new Magnetic Resonance Imaging System (MRI), which was 10 times faster than the old one and reduced the waiting period for MRI testing to one day.
  • The addition of a new HiSpeed Computer Tomography System (CT/i) gave St. Bernards the most advanced CT diagnostic capabilities in Northeast Arkansas.
  • St. Bernards breaks ground for St. Bernards Village, a new retirement community on a 17-acre site in the center of Jonesboro.

1994

  • St. Bernards Healthcare Associated Regional Providers (SHARP) is established as the first operational Physician-Hospital Organization (PHO) in the state.
  • The Transitional Care Facility is opened.

1993

  • The Center for Pain Management is opened, and program of pre-admission testing begins.

1990

  • The Ben E. Owens Cancer Treatment Center and a new multi-level parking deck are completed. The cancer center also houses the Women's Diagnostic Center, the Area Health Education Center-Northeast and the Gastroenterology Laboratory. 

1987

  • Balloon Angioplasty becomes available.
  • Both the new helicopter pad and the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) unit building are completed.

1985

  • The St. Bernards Sleep Disorder Center is opened.

1983

  • A Cardiac Catheterization laboratory is opened at St. Bernards.

1982

  • With the completion of the North Wing for Pediatrics and Medical-Surgical patients, the St. Bernaards bed count rises to 325.

1964

  • A three-floor expansion of the East Wing brings bed capacity to 274.
  • The Intensive Coronary Care addition is completed and Cobalt Therapy, CT Head Scan and Nuclear Cardiology services are added.

1962

  • Both the North Wing & Laundry Building are completed along with a Pediatrics Department, bringing bed capacity to 207.

1952

  • Construction of the East Wing is dedicated, bringing the total bed capacity to 150.

1921

  • The hospital receives accreditation of its school for registered nurses.

1916

  • The first X-ray machine is installed.

1900

  • St. Bernards Hospital, founded by the Olivetan Benedictine Sisters of Holy Angels Convent, accepted its first patient in a six-room structure on East Matthews Avenue.