At St. Bernards, nothing better illustrates our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our community than the dedication of hundreds of volunteers who enable us to carry out our mission to serve.
The longest standing of our volunteer groups, the St. Bernards Auxiliary, has served the medical center for more than 55 years, contributing nearly 600,000 hours of service since its founding. Currently, more than 135 volunteers serve as Auxiliary members generously dedicating about 2,000 hours a month to the hospital in a number of important capacities.
Auxiliary members have the opportunity to donate time in an area that is best suited to their talents or those in which they have the most interest.
Typical Auxiliary volunteer stations include:
- The Hospital Gift Shop
- Information Desks around the hospital
- One-Day Surgery
- Mail and E-Well Message delivery
- St. Bernards Village Information Desk
- Ben E. Owens Cancer Treatment Center
- Equipment Volunteer
- 1 East Nursing Unit
- St. Bernards Senior Life Center
- NICU Cuddlers
In addition to their work in the hospital, Auxiliary volunteers are involved in a number of ongoing sponsorships and projects include:
- The Junior Volunteer Summer Program
- Scholarship Awards Program (funding more than $30,000 towards healthcare-related scholarships every year)
- Blood Drives
- Contributions to the maintenance of the Auxiliary Rooms at St. Bernards Villa, a residence for cancer patients undergoing treatment